nomadderwhere

Jobs for world travelers: TV host in paradise

I know many of you amongst the Nomadderwhere readership jumped on board after seeing the World Traveler Internship. A year after my WTI, I still receive messages from people in search of such great opportunities in the travel world or wondering how to snag such jobs that require some online savvy and marketing know-how. Therefore, when I hear about new marketing schemes that send people on the road for free or for pay, I’m inspired to pass the info along to you, the reader.

A friend forwarded this opportunity my way, and I think many of  you will find this an idyllic work and living situation.

The “52 Week Paid Vacation”

Here’s the write-up:

Travel website ParadiseHunter.com is scouring the globe for a host for our upcoming Travel TV Series “Paradise Hunter”. We’re looking for someone with enthusiasm and a passion for travel. The job requires you to tour the world in search of your personal Paradise. Try the food, the activities, and see the sights of a dozen countries. On the way, interview locals and expatriates who live in each country to get a sense for what life is like there.

The salary for the year is $60,000. In addition, during the final episode once you’ve found your paradise, you will get to pick a property in that country worth up to $150,000.

No acting experience is necessary. Open to anyone 18 years and older. Applicants are required to submit a 60-second (or less) video showing why they would be perfect for this job. We recommend viewing the competition details before applying. To submit your video application and to see more details on the job, visit the “52 Weeks Paid Vacation” competition at http://www.ParadiseHunter.com.

My Two Cents and Advice

This, to me, sounds like quite the offer for a specific type of person. What comes off as a year of paid lounging and a couple on-camera appearances is most likely a very labor intensive position. This is for someone very comfortable with being on camera and essentially acting. One look at their sample episode and it’s clear they shoot these episodes with many retakes, lots of set-up, and expectations of the host to be prepared for the work involved.

If you’re unaware how much work goes into shooting travel shows like this, I advise you to watch No Reservations: Making of Kerala, India.

Many of these online contests seem directed toward the obsessed traveler, the people who endure the “good enough” jobs for now while endlessly searching for ways to break out of their ruts. Those people have the most heart, the most motivation, and are most likely to publicize the crap out of their application video. That makes great marketing sense for the companies involved.

The thing is, these companies need someone with very specific skills, in this case hosting and production skills on top of travel savvy and work ethic. If you have all those things, you will be way ahead of the majority of applicants.

This is an online contest, meaning you will likely spend many hours promoting your material, fighting for votes, and hearing some stupid comments regarding your person and your work. This is the nature of online competitions for such jobs. Those who go for them have to have very thick skins and be prepared to commit a solid amount of time and effort into winning. And of course, no public vote is safe from the whims of the operating party, in this case ParadiseHunter.com. If you’re not who they’re looking for, the public vote doesn’t matter.

After all that, if you’re not dissuaded, I suggest checking out my application advice for the WTI, which applies to most travel online competitions, as well as my grooming post. If you have any specific questions or want further advice, feel free to contact me.

Additional Advice: Vijaya Selvaraju has some hefty experience in going for TV spots through online competitions. Here are the words of wisdom she would have loved to hear during her go. [Passion should never be extinguished. These tips are to help you gain a solid understanding.]

Go in with an open mind and the possibility that you may not walk out of the competition as the grand prize winner. Despite how much energy you invest in a competition like this, there are thousands of people who are doing the same.

For the most part, the minds behind these competitions already have a description of who they want their “winner” to be. No matter how qualified you are for the job, the fact that you are not a “male with brown hair”, could quickly put you behind the pack. Just know that these competitions are casting calls, and that you are one of many.

Voting makes up a large portion of the competition, as competitors are encouraged to rally their friends, peers, and colleagues to gain as many votes as possible. I have personally observed (one too many times) that this is usually insignificant and simply a marketing ploy to get as many people to perpetuate the details of the contest as possible.

Keeping all of these things in mind, there is still the chance that you will make it to the top. Imagine how satisfied you will be knowing all the hoops you jumped through to make it happen.

Links for more information: Apply, The Job, FAQs, The Competition, The TV Series.

Subscribe to Nomadderwhere’s posts via RSS feed or e-mail

Be Sociable, Share!

22 Comments

1. Pretty

Dear Madam,
    I am an Airhostess and am very interested in travelling. Could you guide me about any Travel Host job in India?

Awaiting a positive response.

Regards,
    Pretty.

May 1, 2011 at 13:53 | Permalink
  2. Lindsay Clark

Hi Pretty,

At the moment, I’m unaware of any travel hosting jobs in India or where to look for one. If I discover this, I’ll be sure to let you know!

May 15, 2011 at 11:56 | Permalink
  3. Danielle

Hello,
    Are you aware of any travel host/jobs available at the moment to Australian/Uk Citizens?
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Danielle

July 12, 2011 at 21:38 | Permalink
  4. Lindsay Clark

Hi Danielle, if I happen upon any hosting gigs for any country in the world, I will surely report them here. What angle on travel hosting excites you most?

July 15, 2011 at 10:57 | Permalink
  5. melbourn trazona

im from philippines and i have the passion to travel around the world in searching for any lifestyles hit not just today but for the upcoming tomorrow. cultures are greatest things to discover different countries.

January 4, 2012 at 22:21 | Permalink
  6. Naynie

Hello,
    I am Naynie from India. I love travelling. I love exploring new places and cultures;meeting new people, tasting amazing food and discovering new places. Please let me know if there are any upcoming shows in India that i can apply for.

January 19, 2012 at 11:36 | Permalink
  7. Mish_shaikh

hi i just want to Explore the worlddddd

February 20, 2012 at 21:40 | Permalink
  8. Lindsay Clark

I hear ya.

February 21, 2012 at 12:23 | Permalink
  9. Lindsay Clark

Hi Naynie, I’ll be sure to pass along any and every hosting gig I see!

July 25, 2012 at 15:20 | Permalink
  10. Lindsay Clark

Indeed.

July 25, 2012 at 15:20 | Permalink
  11. Shubhali Bhatnagar

Hi ,

I am an Indian girl working in Singapore but i would love to take up a travel host job as i love travelling, exploring new places and meeting new people!! Please let me know incase any such opportunity comes across in Singapore or India !!

Thanks
    Shubhali

November 27, 2012 at 07:50 | Permalink
  12. Lindsay Clark

If I see any new openings, I will post them right away!

November 30, 2012 at 21:13 | Permalink
  13. synthia

hi im synthia frm India.i took have a passion for being a travel show host.coz i love to know mor abt different cultures,their arts n crafts,meeting different ppl,different n variety of foods they make.n if there z such opportunity den i would love to do this.thank u :-)

June 14, 2013 at 00:09 | Permalink
  14. Rahul Kumar Singh

Hi….I am a college student.

I love to explore the world and capture beautiful sites in my camera…….
    I have traveled in India….
    Call me on…8503871994

October 26, 2013 at 04:38 | Permalink
  15. Tayo TM

Hey, I’m Taniya
    I’m done traveling, My Country India …. Now looking up for the world,I M a good photographer, love to Explore New Places taking Risk!

February 23, 2014 at 07:12 | Permalink
  16. harshid rajput

hi.. i am harshid.. and ya I love exploring new places and cultures;meeting new people, tasting amazing food and discovering new places. and ya i have good concept for traveling shows.. so pls contect me

April 8, 2014 at 03:53 | Permalink
  17. Renuka

Hi, I’m from KL, Malaysia. My dream job is always to be a travel host. Currently my job is teaching English, EFL, so meeting people, talking with them, being in front of camera in not a problem for me.

April 18, 2014 at 10:43 | Permalink
  18. naveen reddy

hi
    i am college student
    i would love to take look at all around the world.
    that makes me fell better that i know the world .
    if any one needs like me contact me in naveenreddyhs5@gmail.com.
    some one should see the world.

May 27, 2014 at 06:24 | Permalink
  19. Lindsay Clark

Hi, Naveen. I like hearing about all these people who want to see the world and want to show it to others. It’s uplifting. I hope you all find the perfect opportunity for you, and I’ll be sure to post about any new travel jobs if I hear of them!

July 20, 2014 at 11:24 | Permalink
  20. Lindsay Clark

Hi, Renuka. Travel hosting looks like a fun path to be on. I recommend building up your YouTube presence like my good friends Vijaya and Rachel. Let the world know what you have to offer, and sometimes you get the right person sniffing for just your skill set :)

July 20, 2014 at 11:28 | Permalink
  21. Lindsay Clark

Hi, Harshid. It sounds like, if you have a great idea for a travel show, you should throw your heart and soul into trying to produce it now! Make it what you envision, and the right person will find it for potential development. If you don’t know how to start, I can try to direct you to a couple posts about shooting and editing if you let me know where you are with that knowledge at the moment :)

July 20, 2014 at 11:31 | Permalink
  22. Lindsay Clark

Hi, Taniya. Thanks for writing! Where are you from in India? I would love to see your photography. Do you have a website?

July 20, 2014 at 11:53 | Permalink